Sep 10, 2007

Chased By A Dog

I wasn't sure if I really wanted to share this story, but I decided that I couldn't deprive the world of this incident...
Bauer and I go to playgroup on Thursday mornings. I ride my bike with the little kiddie-cart hooked up to the back so that I get exercise and we save a little money on gas. About ten minutes after I got to my friends' house we noticed a dog in her backyard. It had a collar on but had obviously gotten loose for the morning. She didn't want it to end up chasing after anyone else who was coming to playgroup so she opened the door and yelled at it and it took off and we didn't see it again.
After about an hour it was time for us to leave so Bauer could have his nap so we packed up, got on the bike and left. When I got about halfway down the street I heard the distinct sound of a dog collar rattling. I looked behind me just in time to see this dog come tearing around from behind a parked car! This thing was barking and running so fast that when it's back legs came up they were way in front of it's front legs.
I didn't really have time to think. I immediately stood up and started peddling like a mad woman but after one glace behind me I knew there was no way I was going to out-peddle this dog! So, just as it got up right behind the wheel of the kiddie-cart I turned around and screamed at the top of my lungs basically right in the dog's face! He skidded to a complete halt and did a complete 180 and ran the other way, never to be seen again!
It was all over in a matter of seconds but I've been laughing about it every time I think about it for a week and a half. I can just imagine someone getting up, having a cup of coffee (or juice) and sitting down at their front window to enjoy the view of a nice summer day, and then here I come literally screaming by! Oh the things a mother will do to protect her children...
The best part was, I don't think Bauer ever looked up and never thought twice about me screaming like a banshee. I guess it's safe to say ours isn't the calmest of households!

1 comment:

Linz said...

OH my gosh I am DYING of laughter! Thanks for sharing!!