Jan 31, 2008

Steaks Anyone?

At about 7 o'clock tonight we were just finishing getting Bauer ready for bed when the doorbell rang. Matt went to go answer the door while I rocked Bauer and I'm so glad that it was me that stayed in Bauer's room!
Matt opened the door and there was some guy standing there and he says to Matt, "How's it goin' boss, do you like to eat steak?"
Matt was a little taken aback, but answers, "Well, not that often because they're kind of expensive."
"If you could afford it, would you eat it more? And what if you could get a free box of steaks?"
"Well, I guess"
He takes off and runs back to his van (yes, van) and grabs this big box of frozen steaks and comes running back and says, "Hey, you got a place I can set this down?"
So the guy sets the steaks on the stairs because there was no way Matt was going to invite him in. He hands Matt a steak brochure and then starts pulling steaks out of the box and showing him the different cuts of meat. As Matt starts thumbing through the brochure he notices that the cheapest box is $240 and the most expensive is somewhere around $900!
Then the guy asks Matt, "So, what do you think? We take cash, check or charge."
Matt said, "Uh, yeah, we can't afford this."
So then the guy says, "Well, I'd hate that to prevent you from eating like a king! I'll knock it down to $179."
Matt says, "That's almost our entire monthly grocery budget."
"This'll last you a month!"
"No, that's for all of our food, milk and fruit and everything."
"Oh. Alright boss, have a good night." And then he takes off back to his van with his big box of steaks.

Is this guy for real?!

5 comments:

McGinnis Family said...

Oh my gosh! RANDOM weirdness! Gotta' love it!

sugar_cookie said...

WHAT!?

Alyson said...

Maybe it's just an Idaho thing, but I have had "meat salespersons" come to my door many times in Idaho. And I still think it's totally strange. They always have a "special" going on, and of course it's really outrageously expensive.

Tony and Traci said...

I don't know about you but I would have shut the door and turned off my light when he ran back to the van the first time. Besides, who really wants to pay for a box of steaks that you could otherwise buy at the grocery store for half the price. What a bunch of crazies.

Rylie said...

I would freak out! That just seems really quite strange!