Jan 21, 2008

Tips, Please!


Alright, we've tried the slower taking-it-easy approach to potty training, but now I think I'm ready to get this process moving a little faster! For those of you who have already started (or finished!) the potty training process, I would love to hear the advice you have to give. Anything that is a must or things that are to be avoided. Please help, I just can't take the diapers anymore!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duct tape a bucket to his butt. He'll get tired of hauling that around and start using his potty.

Janee said...

Oh girl, let me know what you find out - I'm SO dreading potty training (although I still have a little more time).

I watched Moonlight on Friday and you were right - I loved it! Thanks for the suggestion!

McGinnis Family said...

I love that first suggestion! That's hilarious! Aubrey, I'm in the same boat you are! Maybe there's a retreat somewhere that we can go to with our kids!

Hope said...

Aubrey,
I posted it on my personal blog but the book Toliet Training in less than a Day is awesome!!! I really like the things they had to say. It's a huge reference for this ward and all my friends are using it with their kids right now. Check it out from the library. See if it fits you and Bauer.
also,
I love, love, love the plastic pants that go over the undies. You can find them at any store. It helps significantly with the clean up. They also sell the padded undies which are great as well!
Good Luck

Alyson said...

I am definitely not an expert, and it's different with every child, but consistency is the key. Logan really resisted. Lots of temper tantrums and screaming, but I am the parent and I was not going to let him win. I sat him on his potty chair in front of the tv with his favorite show on and lots of snacks and juice. We would wait until he went, and then he could get off. This could take anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour. He knew he couldn't get up until he went. This sometimes resulted in tears, but we kept going. After about a month and a half of this, he was going potty the minute we sat him down. SO then we moved him to the big toilet with a child seat on it, and worked on that for a while. He is now to the point that he tells me when he has to go, but we still have the occasional accident. It was not fun.... it took four months of me being on top of him ALL THE TIME. But, I am very glad I didn't quit and give up all those times I questioned myself. I also had the book that was mentioned above. It was helpful, but maybe because I have a stubborn kid it took a little longer than a day.

yellowthumbelina said...

#1. Pull-ups are a waste of time and money.
#2. Rewards, rewards, rewards!
#3. Praise and more praise.
#4. Consistency.

boys take a little longer, good luck!

love ya!

Alexis said...

Diapers are a pain, but even worse is having a ton of accidents and getting really frustrated! With both of my kids it has been THEM that has decided when they are ready. We have a sticker chart and a gumball machine I got at the dollar store and every time Nora uses the potty she gets a sticker and a gumball - is she tries and doesn't go she just gets a sticker. But for my girls (obviously every kid is different!) it has been them deciding they are ready. Just the past week Nora has only had 2 accidents! Yay! Also, I hear boys take longer?? But since I don't have one I wouldn't know! Good luck !! :)

Jensie Simkins said...

first we went to target and let lucie pick out some cool new big girl panties. then we just stayed home for a weekend and let her just pee and try to put her on the potty when she started to go! we also had guests over for a bbq during that time period and they thought i was so weird. but it worked! she caught on and didn't like to have wet pants. however, we were in a rental, so we didn't care about the floor. since you own your home, you might want to try something else! good luck, it's definitely an adventure, but WORTH IT!