Jul 20, 2008

A Fishy Kind of Day

On Friday I decided to take Bauer down to the Aquatic Center to spend some one-on-one time together. We've been really busy since we got home and I figured we needed to do something for just the two of us. Plus, we started making some real progress with the swimming thing right before we left my mom's and I wanted to keep that going.

Bauer has had a lot of trouble getting used to being in a pool and has spent the last couple summers whining and clinging to my like his life depended on it.......and that was while we were sitting in eight inches of water! Imagine my shock when he actually started asking to go swimming and would wade into the pool all by himself the last week and a half we were visiting my mom! It was awesome! Then, when we went to the pool on Friday it was pretty busy so I didn't think he would do that well (the more people there are the more he gets freaked out). But we spent the whole time wading into water that was up to his chest (he held my hand when it got to be that deep) and we spent most of the time in the deeper water with him jumping off the side so that I could catch him! Plus, he let me hold him away from my body (another big no-no) and he was "swimming" in the water! (I used the quotations because I'm not sure if it counts if his feet and hands were out of the water, but at least he had the motion right!) At one point he said, "I'n like a fish!" It was so much fun and I'm happy that my son finally likes to be in the water because I could go swimming every day and never get tired of it!

Then, later that night we had a girl's night and went to see Mama Mia and then went out to a sushi restaurant. Yes, sushi, complete with sitting on the floor and everything. We've never had any kind of seafood cross the threshold into our house because Matt and I don't eat it at all!

Well, I'm proud to say that as of July 18th, 2008 I have officially tried two different kinds of sushi. I have to say that it wasn't nearly as bad as I had suspected it would be and, to be completely honest, I was more scared to eat the chicken I ordered than the raw fish!

9 comments:

Linz said...

Way to go with the sushi, girl!! How'd you like Mamma Mia...I saw it with a friend this weekend.

Sarah said...

Aubrey, AKA, Miss Picky Eater - Way to go trying something new! Aaron and I are very proud of you!

Stephanie said...

The great thing about Bauer being timid around water is at least you don't have to worry (as much) about drowning! Skyler is a little more fearless, which terrifies me!

J.C. Carlson said...

Nice job on the raw fish adventure! Although, I must say, you do look a bit apprehensive about that first bite.

I'm so proud of Bauer! Yeah!! Next year: going down the slide and jumping off the board!!

Jen said...

Good job Aubrey on trying sushi!! You are pickier than I am and I don't think I would have tried it. How was Mama Mia? I want to go see it, but was wondering how it was.

Janee said...

You go girl! You took that sushi like a champ! I was so proud :)

The Richardson Clan said...

The GNO was a blast and kudos to you for trying the sushi! We'll have to do it again and bring Matt and Tim along. ;) Oh and can you forward me a pic of all the girls, that's a totally cute pic of everyone.

Tony and Traci said...

What did you eat because I have tried several different types of Sushi(fresh water eel, spider roll, and california roll) and I about tossed my cookies in the process. I'm sure I have told you the story behind it. At any rate good job! Does this mean that you are giving up on your pickiness??? ;)

Andy & Ashlee said...

Way to be brave with the sushi, it always looks a little bit questionable. Good for you for trying it! We have been wanting to go to the aquatic center, looks like you and Bauer had a good time there. He looks so cute in his little swim trunks!