Oct 18, 2009

My First (Pathetic) Attempt at Yeast Bread

When I went grocery shopping a few weeks ago, I got this idea that I wanted to make lots of homemade bread. I mean, seriously, how hard can it be?
Turns out, harder than I thought! I'm not exactly sure what the problem was, maybe too much flour, not enough warmth to encourage it to rise, it could have been anything. Wait, what's that? This loaf doesn't look too bad?What do you think of this one then?! Pretty sad, huh? I've named this loaf of bread Quasimo-dough.

9 comments:

J.C. Carlson said...

Quasimo-dough!?! That is hilarious!

J.C. Carlson said...

It could also be be Quasimo-DOH!

Alyson said...

How funny! Don't be too hard on yourself. Bread is hard to get right!

Ann said...

At least you tried making it the right way in the oven. I can't even make bread in the bread maker!! It came out 4 inches high and about 25 pounds heavy! It was brick! I thought the machines were supposed to be fool proof!

That's awesome about Bauer not having any allergys any more. How exciting!!

Becca said...

Haha, Aubrey you are so funny. I love the new picture!

PearTheSquare said...

Actually, for a first attempt I think you did pretty well. It looks like you decided to tackle whole grain dough and that's harder to do. I'd recommend white breads for a beginner, then whole grains. And make sure your yeast is top quality! My very favorite is Hodgson Mill's. And remember, baking disasters are part of the learning process, along with forgetting you have something baking in the oven. My girls still remember their mom kicking some jet black, smoking loaves of bread around the yard in disgust!

PearTheSquare said...

By the way, I really like your latest photo of Bauer and Cadance at the top of your blog. Bauer reminds me very much of his Mimi-Dearest back in the day. Waaaaay back.

Rylie said...

Just keep trying! After many failed attempts I finally got the nack of making yeast bread.

J.C. Carlson said...

Don't you all just love reading stuff from Pear the Square? She is too hilarious!