Jul 24, 2010

Fireworks, Four-Wheelers, Fairs, and Fires!

Hannah came to pick me up from my mom's house and drove me and the kids over to Manitowoc. We went swimming at the hotel room and then headed over to my dad's house until we went to pick Matt up from the ferry at 11:30 at night. I really wish I hadn't forgotten my camera at my dad's house because it was so sweet to see how excited Bauer and Cadance were to see their Daddy! We were waiting for him to get off the boat and as soon as Bauer saw Matt he wanted to run through the line (against the traffic flow) to get to him! I made him wait until Matt was right at the gate and then told him he could go. He ran and jumped into Matt's arms and wouldn't let him go until we got back to the car. Cadance was a little shy at first, she kept hiding her head in the stroller but after we got back to the car and Matt had put Bauer in his seat her attitude totally changed. I was unbuckling her from the stroller and she started fighting against the strap and reaching out for him to take her. As soon as Matt picked her up she wrapped her arms around him and laid her head on his shoulder! She kept popping her head up and saying, "Ohhh..." and then she'd lay her head on his other shoulder. She did that a few times before she let him put her in her car seat. I still can't believe she let him put her down at all! Cadance wouldn't let Matt out of her sight for the rest of the weekend, even to go to the bathroom!

(Picture collage of the fair coming soon...)

The next morning we got up and went swimming with Rachael and Bryce and then we all went down to another little fair that was going on in Mishicot for the weekend. Rachael and I bought bracelets for us and Bryce and Bauer so we could ride on all the rides we wanted to for about 4 hours. Bauer was absolutely fearless! He wanted to go on everything: the Fun House, the Tornado (think Strawberry ride without the strawberry and you're flying through the air), the Scrambler, the Merry-go-round, Tilt-a-whirl, Octopus (the thing with a bunch of arms coming out of the middle and each has a two-person cart on it), you name it, he went on it! The best one though (and the one we don't have a picture of) was something Bauer kept referring to as the Ferris Wheel (think Zipper but round instead of oblong). He had been talking about it the whole time we were there so I finally took him on. I didn't warn him that it was kind of a scary ride because he had loved all the others so much (we rode the Tornado 4 times and it still wasn't enough for him)! We got on and I was nervous because I knew what to expect. We started moving and Bauer was having a great time until we finally flipped forward super fast and then didn't stop spinning for the rest of the ride! He started scream/yelling and didn't stop that until the end of the ride either! I felt so bad for him, but I couldn't help but laugh a little, too (only when he couldn't see me, of course!). I wish we had been able to record that from the ground because it was just this constant cycle of "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" as we spun around and around for what seemed like an eternity! When it finally ended Bauer stumbled off the ride and needed to take a small break. That's when we rode the Merry-go-round and he was too weak/scared to even ride one of the horses. He and I just sat on a bench and spun in very slow circles until he calmed down. After that we jumped on the Scrambler and finished up with the Tornado so at least he wasn't too scarred!When we got back to my dad's house we all had a lot of fun riding the 4-wheeler around for a bit. Everyone had a great time on it, including all of the kids! Cadance didn't want to get off, she's turning into a little daredevil! I think my favorite part was when Bauer (aka - Astronaut Mario) and Bryce wanted to ride together when they were both wearing my dad's motorcycle helmets. When Matt got back after taking them around the yard he said, "It's a good thing my arms are so long otherwise I wouldn't have been able to reach the handles!"
When it got dark enough we all headed outside for a great fireworks show and a campfire. My only complaint is that there weren't enough fireworks! They were awesome and it was an extra treat for me because we didn't really get to see any on the 4th! We roasted oversized marshmallows, told some scary stories, and Hannah had a little too much fun with a glow stick that burst open!

No comments: