Oct 10, 2008

Apple Mania

Yesterday for playgroup we went to an apple orchard instead of just meeting at a park. We had a really great time and Bauer had a blast running through the trees eating apples with his friends!

Reach for that apple, Bauer!

Showing off the good stuff!

When we all went to get our bags to collect the apples everyone else decided to take the "half-basket" bag, but I decided that wasn't enough for me and I needed the "half-bushel" bag! None of those small, sissy bags in our house! Well, after I started filling the bag up, I realized that there were more apples in there than I thought there was going to be. I figured I needed some ways to use them up before they ended up going bad! So, my friend Crissy came over today with her recipe for apple pie that I've only heard about (and have yet to try) and we made a huge mess making apple pies!

One for her, one for me, and then one for me to freeze and use later. We ended up with tons of dough so I have some of that in my freezer, too!


The finished product! It has yet to be eaten but I'll report back after we have it for dessert tonight. I doubt I'll ever do this again, at least not on my own, because it took us 2 1/2 hours just to make the pies, they still had to bake for an hour after that! I just don't really put that much effort into food because, even if it's the most delicious thing I've ever eaten, it doesn't last!

9 comments:

Rylie said...

Isn't apple picking fun!? I ended up getting a ton of apples when I went last weekend too! Those pies look really yummy!

Tony and Traci said...

I love to make apple pies :) Why else would I volunteer for the anual DeWitt Marching Band fundraiser? I made a heck of a pie this last year. I will have to make it when i come home for christmas.

J.C. Carlson said...

Say, are you planning on keeping that pie in the freezer for another two months? If so, you will be baking it just in time for my visit!

PearTheSquare said...

Nice lattice work on those pies, Aubrey. I've made many pies but have never attempted it. I hope they tasted as good as they look. I think fruit pies are the best and nothing beats a fresh apple pie!

By the way, congratulations on the expected little brother or sister for Bauer! Spring is a good time to have a baby since by summer you'll be feeling stronger and it's much nicer not being pregnant all summer! Andrea was born in September and Becky in March so I speak from experience.

Janee said...

YUM! Those pies look AMAZING! Now I'm totally bummed I didn't go back for my apples :)

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

I am so sad that we didn't make it to the apple orchard with you guys. It looks like you had a blast!

So I am totally craving apple pie right now...

Dawn said...

Yummy! I love apple pie!

Becca said...

How did the pies turn out?! That looked like fun :)

Aubreydoll said...

They ended up being the wrong kind of apples for pie-making so it turned out pretty juicy. I guess we'll just have to try it again!