Jan 13, 2010

A Puzzling Christmas

This year I did things a little differently for our Christmas presents for Matt's family. I decided to do something that would get everyone involved and working together and (I think) they all had a good time!

(Disclaimer: I will make no apologies for the following pictures...)
I made a puzzle with clues written on it and gave everyone (everyone who was there, at least) a piece and they had to figure the puzzle out and tape it together.Once it was together they had to follow the clues around the house to find another set of puzzle pieces, but more on that later...

Clue #1-
McCartney and Wonder once sang a song,
About ebony and ivory getting along.
The piano!

Clue #2-
Violence in hockey is a mainstream affair,
but is a little less dangerous when the puck is on air.
Hidden under the air hockey table.

Clue #3-
Tastes that derive from faraway lands,
Work magic when put in a mother's hands.
The spice cabinet!

Clue #4-
Thoughts of monsters can conjure up fright,
So tread lightly as you traverse the Twilight.
Hidden in the pages of Twilight.

Clue #5-
The queen rules from her porcelain throne,
Her one loyal subject hides alone.
The toilet! (Well, maybe I'll apologize for this picture...sorry, Becca!)

Clue #6-
When Old St. Nick laid a finger to his nose,
A gift he did spy as up the chimney he rose.
A no-brainer.

Clue #7-
Your personal trainer you'd like him to be,
His name's not Benedict and he rules Californ-y.
The workout equipment.

Clue #8-
Be it a lemon, limo, Lexus, or Mini,
It's a stall for horses that never whinny.
Hidden under the hood of a car. (Yes, the car was in the garage, I didn't want to make anyone go outside at 6:30 in the morning!)

Clue #9-
Some use a brush, a roller, or just splatter,
But when a tiny master works, his technique doesn't matter.
Hidden behind a canvas that Bauer had painted for Noni and Poppy.

After all the pieces to the second puzzle were found, they had to put that puzzle together on a piece of paper with numbers on the back (they didn't know about the numbers at first).
Once the puzzle was finished and taped together they had to figure out who each character represented.Once they figured that out, the puzzle could be turned over to reveal a number behind each person's puzzle piece which would tell them...
...which numbered gift belonged to them!

Then, only after accomplishing all of that, could they open their gifts.
Obviously I had a little too much fun putting this together! But now I can't wait to see what ideas come to me for the 2010 Christmas!

8 comments:

Becca said...

I was fun :) I loved it....different and creative!

Linz said...

Wow Aubrey, that's a lot of effort and so creative!

Katie said...

wow- that is so creative!!

Ann said...

You are SSOOOO creative!!

Tony and Traci said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Sorry I wasn't able to be there.

J.C. Carlson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.C. Carlson said...

You are so creative! It's like magic is shooting out of each of your fingertips, ricochetting off the walls, piercing your corneas, and boring into your brain and sparking these fabulous ideas! I can hardly wait to see what you'll come up with next Christmas!

Jamie said...

You are SO creative!! I would never think of that! That's awesome! And I'm sure they loved you afterward ;)