Apr 26, 2010

Weekend Getaway

Last week my youngest sister, Hannah, graduated from cosmetology school. So, to celebrate, we were all supposed to get together this weekend and have a BBQ and just hang out (and, according to Hannah, bring gifts). However, on Wednesday, Matt called me from work and suggested that I just go by myself and enjoy a little vacation from my responsibilities (aka, Bauer and Cadance!). It took me a while to agree to it only because I knew my family would be disappointed that they wouldn't get to see everyone, but it was too perfect of an opportunity so I took it!Aside from being stuck in Chicago for over an hour & a half and getting lost the last few minutes of the trip while having to pee so bad that I thought I was going to have to park on the side of the road and run behind a tree, the drive over was fairly uneventful. I got into Manitowoc later than I had planned so I just had dinner with my mom and sisters and then we hung out in our hotel room until it was time for bed.The next morning we got up and had a delish breakfast and then went swimming! I come from a family of swimmers and we had a blast! Bryce (my nephew) took a little time to warm up to me, but after letting him splash me endlessly in the pool, playing hide-and-seek, and jumping around on the bed yelling out "Tooty toots!" and other such phrases, I think I earned the title of Favorite Aunt!

After swimming we got ready and headed out to my dad's house. We were supposed to have the barbecue at a really nice park with trails that lead to a cave with fresh spring water you can drink (so I've been told, I haven't actually been out there), but it rained all weekend so that didn't happen! Oh well, we made the most of it!Once Hannah starts her new job next week, her wardrobe will consist of black and white clothing. So, to spice things up a little, I made her these headbands! The all teal one has a flat-iron button on it and the all black one has a comb and a brush. When she saw them she said, "Oh cool, everyone's going to be so jealous!"Sporting a new headband! She's also put in an order for as many more headbands as I want to make for her...After eating some lunch, my dad pulled out his guitar and sang for us while Bryce entertained us by giving us a preview of his dance moves!While we were out there, by dad took me out back so I could shoot his M16. I think I was in high school the last time I shot anything, bow or gun! Not that I'm much of a gun person, but I used to be quite the archer back in the day!Even though we were stuck in the house because of the cold and rainy weather that didn't stop us from having a good time! Rachael (my other sister) brought along her Just Dance game for the Wii and that's when Bryce really busted out some moves! We all took turns and had way too much fun!(Mom, Rachael, and Bryce.)(Dad and Hannah.)(Rachael and Dustin.)(Me with my sisters! Hannah and I were dancing to Cotton Eye Joe...that's why we're wearing the hats...)After we danced so much the carpet was smoking, we headed back to the hotel and went swimming again! Then, we just hung out and talked again until it was time for bed.

The next morning we got up, had breakfast, and what? You guessed it, went swimming! I was afraid that I wasn't going to be very active this weekend, boy was I wrong! Then we all packed up and had to check out.(There's really nothing to be said about this, just me and my mom being our normal selves!)(Hannah trying to lick Rachael...)

After that my sisters and I went out to lunch with my dad. I forgot to get a picture of that, but I'm sure it's not that hard to imagine us sitting at a table in Applebee's.Then it was back on the road and, thankfully, Chicago was a breeze and I was back home by 9pm. Matt kept the kids up so they could see me and Bauer was so excited when I pulled in! After I had given him a big hug and was holding Cadance, he wrapped his arms around mine and Matt's legs and said,"Now we're together as a family again!" I didn't think Cadance was that excited to see me since she didn't really react when I walked in the door, but after holding her for a few minutes I tried to sit her down on the couch next to me and she would have none of it! She immediately crawled back into my arms and refused to let me go!

I had such a wonderful weekend! I'm really sad that it went by so fast, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again within the next few months! And, I have to say, that Matt is the best husband ever and I can't thank him enough for insisting that I go and take a much-needed vacation!

4 comments:

sugar_cookie said...

I had tons of fun too! I can't wait till you come back (with the kids this time)!!

Brian and Erika Hogge said...

Nice Aubrey! Everyone needs a little break once in a while. You're family is so cute. I'm glad you had a good time!

Becca said...

Looks like you had a great time! Im sure it was nice to have some me time :) Hehe...I love that big cheesy face on both Bauer and Caddy

Rylie said...

Looks like you had a blast!! I LOVE those headbands!!!!