Feb 16, 2011

Whale Watching

On our second day out in California we got up early and headed out to go whale watching.Look at me, I'm on the Pacific Ocean for the first time in my life!! Matt too, but he's also been on the Atlantic. I was so excited to go!I took a few pictures on our way out of the harbor. So many things to photograph!The view behind us as we entered the ocean! Ahh!! While looking through these pictures I feel like I'm reliving it!There were two other whale watching boats that were already out and had found two gray whales. Our captain drove us right over there and we followed them for a while. It was so awesome!There's one of the boats with everyone watching. That boat was tipped to one side the whole time, it was hilarious! We ended up cutting the other boat off, which I think we all felt a little bad about except for the fact that we had a better view! Oh well...One whale coming up, and one going down.That's the best tail shot I was able to get. They didn't always put their tales up when they would dive down.After we watched them for a while our captain said that he'd heard there was a pod of dolphins and we were going to go check it out. We were not disappointed!It was the coolest thing ever! They chased the boat, swam at the front of it, jumped all over the place! I must have had the cheesiest grin on my face the whole time! I just held my camera out and snapped picture after picture. I wasn't even looking through the viewfinder!I just wanted to reach down and touch them. It was soooo awesome!!Here's a mommy dolphin and her baby! It was totally by accident that I got this picture. Like I said, I was just taking picture after picture without really paying attention. I took this picture and right after someone said, "That was a baby dolphin!" It was just a fluke that I captured it! I'm so glad that we were able to go, it was the best day ever!
Yeah, I put extra hairspray in my hair before we left. I don't think it helped...

4 comments:

Linz said...

This is so awesome!! I can't believe you get to move to CA!

Janet said...

You did a beautiful job of capturing a wonderful day! I bet Bauer loves the pics of the baby dolphin!

Becca said...

You were just going for the windblown look!

Jared and Sarah said...

That was so much fun! I'm so glad we decided to go whale watching. It was a blast!