
Last Saturday we went to the Small Animals Day on campus. Bauer has been looking forward to seeing the chicks for weeks and weeks!

Cadance loved all the animals and probably could have stayed all day!

Bauer was like Ralphie
(in A Christmas Story) watching the parade. Ralphie didn't care about the floats, he just wanted to go see Santa. Bauer didn't care about any other animal, he searched and searched for those chicks and wasn't satisfied until we found them!

We had to hop on the bus to ride to the poultry farm to get there.

Bauer was so excited!

After walking
(impatiently) through the building with the chickens and roosters, we finally made it!
Chicks galore!
And yes, that is a blue chick! They inject food coloring into some of the yolks so some chicks come out different colors! The color doesn't last forever, just until their feathers fall out and it fades out of their feet.

Bauer was so excited, but didn't actually want to hold the chicks
(I think he was afraid of their little feet...and maybe he thought they were going to peck him).
Not sure how I feel about him kissing a chicken, but he just couldn't help himself! But, let's be honest, it is pretty sweet!
Now, if Bauer was like Ralphie, Cadance was like Lennie from Of Mice and Men. She wanted to touch and hold the chicks so much, but doesn't really understand the difference between petting softly, and poking/hitting! We kept the chicks as safe as we could so she didn't hurt any. She just couldn't control her excitement!
This was as close to holding a chick as Bauer got.
Aren't they sweet??
Blue, pink, green, and yellow (that look white in this picture) chicks!
We also got to see chicks in the process of hatching or just barely hatched!
Bauer and I also held/pet a quail chick! I couldn't believe how tiny they were. They were probably the size of marshmallow, maybe a little smaller. So sweet!
4 comments:
My kids would have loved this how fun! Happy Easter!
Oh my goodness! Those are such cute little chickies! I love the kids excitement :) Those quail chicks are unreal...those must be fake! So tiny!
wow! I had no idea quail started out so small!! That is so neat! I wish they had stuff like that around here- my kids would love it!
thanks for sharing!
Look at those adorable chicks! What a fun day!!
Post a Comment