May 10, 2009

Are We Crazy?!

I think most people would shout out a resounding yes! But reserve judgment until you hear the whole story...

My mom graduated with her Master's Degree on Friday and I hadn't planned on going because I just had a baby! I was upset that I couldn't go but knew that she was coming out later this week so it wasn't that big of a deal....or so I thought. I talked to her on Thursday night right before she was going out to dinner with my two sisters and all of a sudden this overwhelming sadness came over me that I wasn't going to be there to share in this special day with her. After we hung up I just couldn't stop thinking about it! Matt was at the theater getting ready to watch the much anticipated Star Trek movie and I texted his brother who was there telling him that I wanted to go to my mom's graduation the next morning at 9:30. I suppose I should clarify that my mom lives in Minnesota! Matt thought I was joking and after I assured him I wasn't he said there was no way we could go for a number of reasons then hung up since the movie was starting.

I sat here racking my brain trying to come up with some way for us to get over there. Then I thought maybe I would just go and Matt could stay home with Bauer (since he was still off work anyway) but I knew there was no way I could safely go by myself. The only person I could think of who might be open to coming with me on such short notice was my wonderful friend Rylie. I texted her at 9:30 and asked her if she wanted to drive to Minnesota with me that night but she never responded.

Later when we woke up at 2:30 am to take care of Cadance I saw that she had texted me back at 12 but I was already asleep. She asked me what time I wanted to leave! I quickly texted back to see if she was awake (which she was) and after going back and forth and working out a few details we decided to do the most spontaneous thing either of us had ever done and leave! We drove out of town at about 4am!

It took us 12 hours to get there (I missed the graduation) but it was totally worth my mom's reaction when I opened the door to her house when she got home from a friend's open house! She was completely speechless and I've never seen her like that in my life! My sisters were really excited to see us too, but I had to pull them into the plan a half hour before we got into town so they could help with the little details (like keys to my mom's house!) so I couldn't surprise them as much as I wanted to.
Everyone was so excited to see Cadance (especially my sister Rachael!). I don't think she was put down the whole time we were there. I'm sure she didn't mind too much though, she was tired of sitting in her car seat!

We surprised my grandma too when we all went out to see her on Saturday. She was so shocked to see me and didn't want to let go of me when I gave her a hug! She was so happy to have all of us there and was excited to hold Cadance too!

Here's the whole clan (minus my sister's boyfriend who was taking pictures).

A four-generation picture with my mom in her graduation gown. We are all the oldest daughters in our families!
I would never have been able to go without Rylie so I want to tell her a huge THANK YOU! I know it was totally crazy to go out there last minute and only stay for 24 hours (!) but it was so worth it for everyone to meet Cadance and to see the reactions from everyone and have a short visit with my family!

8 comments:

Alyson said...

That's awesome! You guys are so lucky to have each other and it makes me so jealous and miss all the friendships I had in Michigan. I miss everyone!

McGinnis Family said...

How fun!!! What a great road trip! I think the spontaneous trips are the best! What a sweet thing to do for your Mom! I'm sure she was so grateful and happy!

J.C. Carlson said...

I am so grateful and happy and ecstatic that you, Cadance, and Rylie came to see us this weekend!! (Yes, I was speechless, but have since recovered--as I'm sure you're happy to hear.) That is going to be a Mother's Day gift that is going to be hard to beat next year, that's for sure! I love you lots and lots and thank you for making that long trip so we could see you and finally meet Cadance!!!

Katie said...

how fun! spontaneous road trips are the best!

Janee said...

That's so awesome! You guys are so cool for doing that and with an infant in tow!

Rylie said...

I had such a blast!!! This is something I will never forget!!

Aner said...

Awesome!

Becca said...

Yes! (oh, that was to the craziness!)

Thats really neat that you were able to surprise your mom :) What a good friend to be willing to drive SOOOOOOOOO long.