Sep 20, 2009

5...4...3...2...1...PARTY!

We had our greatly anticipated birthday party for Bauer on Saturday! He was so excited and couldn't wait to play with his friends! I hope everyone enjoyed it because we sure did!
This year our party was more astronaut-themed so I made a moon cake with this recipe for the rainbow layers inside. I have to say that I was really happy with the way it turned out!
When all the kids arrived we started the party off with a planet scavenger hunt. I had hidden clues (with the planets attached to them) around the yard and all the astronauts (who were wearing these necklaces) had to discover where each one was hidden. They had a blast, especially Bauer who would jump up and down pointing out almost every planet when someone found it!
Our scavenger hunt ended with the sun (aka, this homemade pinata)!
Everyone took a turn hitting it with our minuscule bat (I didn't realize how small it was until I compared it to the pinata) and no one made a dent in it! Finally I just told everyone to have at it with their fists and they made quick work of it...and the candy inside!
After taking a candy break we realized that Saturn had been missing it's rings when we found it on our hunt. We quickly found them and tried to build them back up to their regular size by throwing these meteoroids (water balloons) through them! I'm happy to say that most of them made it through the rings and not a single person was accidentally hit!
After that, all the astronauts had to collect moon rocks and put them in these buckets to bring back to Earth. Some of the moon rocks made it in to the buckets, but most of them ended up scattered all over the yard and in the pool!
Then, our birthday astronaut enjoyed listening to his fellow explorers of space sing him "Happy Birthday" and he even got some help blowing out his candles!
Happy Birthday to the cutest astronaut/space explorer/black hole expert we'll ever know! We love you, Bauer!!

11 comments:

Becca said...

Super cute! You are so creative Aubrey!

Katie said...

Such a cute party! You did a great job, Aubrey!

sugar_cookie said...

That all sounds so much fun!

Jeff and Chelsy said...

Happy birthday Bauer!! I love that he is still really into space and austronaut stuff.

J.C. Carlson said...

The party looks like it was a blast-off!! I wish we could all have been there with Bauer to usher in his fourth year on planet Earth! Aubrey, you are so clever, creative, and convivial! I love you all!!

Janee said...

What a cute party! You should be a party planner! I love it!

Linz said...

SO FABULOUS!! I love the cake!

Tony and Traci said...

You are so crafty. Bauer has such a great mommy that is willing to go the extra mile to make his interests special. PS we have internet again so expect lots of new pictures.

Mean Aunt Rachie said...

I've decided that if I ever get married and have kids you'll be in charge of helping me plan parties. I'm sure this is something he'll remember and appreciate when he gets older. I love and miss you guys!

Rylie said...

Thanks for inviting us. It was a great party! The cake was so yummy and colorful!!

The Richardson Clan said...

What an awesome party! Every little detail was so well planned and thought out. Such a super mom. I'm so bummed we missed it!