Dec 8, 2009

Challenge: Failed

Well, yesterday was Bauer's big day, the day of his milk challenge. I'm sure that the title and picture of this post have given away the outcome.

The challenge started with one drop of milk on Bauer's tongue, then we had to wait twenty minutes to see if his body could handle that. He said that his tongue felt funny but seemed to be doing well when the nurse came back in and took his vitals. The next step was five drops on his tongue. After a few minutes Bauer told me his tongue hurt and a minute after that he put his toys down and put his hands up to his throat and said his throat hurt, too. That ended the challenge right there. He had a shot of epi (which he wasn't happy about since I had promised him he wouldn't be getting any "pokeys") and some Benedryl. Then we had to wait another twenty minutes to make sure that he was okay.

Matt and I were kind of expecting this outcome, but it was still really disappointing. Not for ourselves, but because we want Bauer to be done with this allergy. His world (and ours) will be completely changed when he can finally have milk products!

Anyway, we're trying to look at the silver lining which is the fact that he's gone from a 4 (the highest allergy rating) to just above a 1. He's come so far so it's only a matter of time before he gets over it completely. His allergist said we'd try again in a year, but I'm hoping we won't have to wait quite that long. It's exciting that there's an end in sight, even if it's not right now.

The only...funny/good/cute thing about the whole experience happened when we went to Target after his appointment. Cadance was in the seat of the cart while Bauer was sitting in the basket. He was pretty subdued (from the Benedryl) and wasn't really talking a lot. We even walked through the toy isles and he just sat there and stared at all the toys repeating over and over, "I want that. I want that. I want that." Then, just before we were about to leave, I looked down and he was asleep in the cart! He looked so sweet sitting in there! He stayed asleep during the transfer from the cart to the car, car to his bed, and bed back to the car when we went to pick Matt up. He finally woke up on the way back home but was pretty out of it for the rest of the night. I guess now we know the secret to get him to sleep when he just wants to sit up in his bed reading and playing with toys all night!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, that is such a bummer! That's cute about how asleep he was though- Benadryl makes Alexis MORE alert! You're lucky! :)

Alexis said...

Oh Darn!! I'm sorry... that is great news that it is down to just above a one though. That is so cute that he fell asleep in the cart!

sugar_cookie said...

Its good your looking at the bright side of things. He's over his egg allergy and he's just a little over a 1 for his milk. I hope that he's over it pretty soon that would be awsome for him and you and matt.

The Richardson Clan said...

Bummer! I was hoping it would have turned out the other way. But you're right there will be an end eventually. Hang in there. He's made so much progress this year and just a little more time and the milk allergy can be eliminated too.

Janee said...

Bummer! I can relate - I was allergic to EVERYTHING as a kid. It sucks.

Janee said...

I just read Katie's comment - Benadryl does the same thing to Maya! She goes crazy hyper!

Becca said...

Thats too bad....Soy milk is good atleast ;) Though I know it would make life easier to not have to worry about it!!!

Rylie said...

I feel bad that he didn't pass. Poor kid! :( Hopefully next year he will pass with flying colors!